I had one obstacle - identifying an opportunity that was the best fit for me. Not aware of all the organizations and opportunities that exist in Manhattan, I started searching and here's what
One day I received a postcard in the mail requesting donations for CASA to help fund their efforts. Yes, I could donate money, but why not donate my time? So...after some research, an orientation meeting, and a full month of training twice a week....I took the plunge. If all works out as planned, I will officially become a CASA volunteer by the end of August. I'm super excited for this journey and hope I'm prepared for both the heartbreaking and rewarding experience that comes along with it!
My version of our role is.....to help advocate for an abused or neglected child and allow him/her to have a voice in court. Because a child has most often been removed from their home and is still very young, volunteers are the one consistent, reliable person in this child's life throughout the case. You are not only a friend, but you are basically the project manager of the case. This means weekly visits, calls, and emails with all the professionals, family, doctors, teachers, etc to ensure that everything is being completed and is done in the child's best interest. Basically, the judge uses my information to base his decision on the best possible placement for the child. Some situations are obviously more serious than others.
Here pretty soon I hope to have a new buddy between the ages of 3-9 and hope to help make an impact by providing them the best chance to enjoy and prosper in life! I unfortunately have to keep the majority of the information confidential, but hope to share some of this journey with you along the way!
Awww Biggs you are awesome & will be so good at that!
ReplyDeleteThat is AWESOME!
ReplyDeleteI am so proud of you!
ReplyDeleteAwww....thanks gals:)
ReplyDeleteI am SO proud of you!! You are amazing. I love you!
ReplyDelete